Camp BIOmed Information
At Camp BIOmed students will take part in hands-on experiments at local biomedical businesses and research facilities, track their own findings as part of these experiments in lab journals, and tour local Seattle biomedical organizations. Each week of the summer camp will conclude with a culminating expo where campers will share group and individual projects and contributions.
Camp is open to all students entering 9th-12th grade for the upcoming school year. Camp sessions are weekly between July 7-August 15, 2014. Click here, to download Camp's flyer.
The cost for the camp varies from $525-615 depending on the camp theme. Financial assistance for each of the camp theme is available.
- Early bird camp registration now open for members, ends on April 15. Become a member and receive a discount of up to $90 with early bird registration!
- Register more than one student for the same camp season and receive a discount of $25 for every student after the second student
- Register one student for more than one camp at the same time, and receive $20 discount for every week of camp after the 2nd
- Bioethics through Gaming
A day summer camp that talks about Bioethics and its implications. A unique way of learning through gaming and exciting tours. Get an insightful experience of a research review board at Quorum Review IRB and learn about bioethics and its global impact at The Gates Foundation. For more info on camp, click here.
- Do It Yourself with Neuroscience with Hive Bio and CSNE
Learn more about biomedical research through hands-on-experiences in a community biology lab called Hive Bio. Click here, for bios of the instructor at Hive Bio. In addition to the lab work, experience the discoveries of neuroscience at Center for Sensorimotor Neural Engineering (CSNE). Explore career possibilties in neuroscience and talk to experts in the field. Want more details on Camp? Click here.
- "FoldIt!: Proteins, DNA, and the Origami of Life"
Know the details and implications of a game developed by UW Department of Biochemistry- Protein Foldit .This camp focuses on the cellular manufacture of proteins, including the many steps involved in protein development and how things can go wrong. Bioinformatics plays a vital role in biomedical research, learn how!! For more about camp, click here.
Camp BIOmed Goals
- Increase student understanding of how biomedical research is conducted; from exploration and discovery to testing and analysis.
- Increase student awareness of how ethical considerations play a role in research; including the ethical guidelines that govern research.
- Promote awareness of science careers.
- Promote awareness of the unique challenges faced by scientists from backgrounds traditionally under-represented in science.
- Build a supportive community of students, science educators, and scientists.
- Provide staff and mentorship support for students to conduct their own Student Bio Expo project during the school year.